The Nikkei index has been on a tear since the US Presidential Election, trading up +22% since the end of October 2020. As one would expect, that move also drove a significant amount of bullish sentiment. Not only did Nikkei futures close at a staggering 93% Bulls on 01/08, but sentiment increased 18% Bulls over the past four days. While this may lead some to think a sharp drop in price is near, the historical data tells us we should expect to see even higher prices in the near term – let’s look at the data.
Here are the inputs we used when evaluating the sentiment data:
- Nikkei sentiment = Above 90% Bulls
- Four-day sentiment change in Nikkei = Between 16-20% Bulls
Since 2006, there have only been seven other times where we had a similar sentiment setup. Those dates were: 03/14/06, 05/07/13, 05/08/13, 12/09/16, 01/08/18, 05/27/20, and 05/28/20. The table below shows some key stats around those dates. Looking at that data, it’s clear to see this is a solid setup for the Bulls. It’s worth noting the best returns were seen between 5-11 trading days after the trade signal (averaged between 3.0-4.1% return).
Here is how we’re placing our long trade:
- Place a GTC Buy Limit order for $NK_F (Mar) at 2831.0
- If this order isn’t filled by the close on 01/12, the trade is cancelled
- Once that order is filled:
- Place a GTC Sell Stop Loss order for $NK_F (Mar) at 2782.0 (-1.7%)
- Place a GTC Sell Limit order for $NK_F (Mar) at 3006.0 (+6.2%)
- *Special condition – if the trade is still open on 01/26, we will close the position at the close (regardless if it’s for a profit or loss)For this trade, we’re risking $2,450 to make $8,750 per contract (reward/risk of about 3.6).
CONVICTION. EXECUTION. DISCIPLINE.
Want to make the most of your investments? Sign up to get our trading strategies sent directly to you with our daily trade alert system. No more guess work or market bias. Fully automated systematic trading strategies with specific order entry prices. Check out our Services page or sign up below. Try it FREE for two weeks!